To apply for this job, please email email@example.com.
Platform Venture Studio
Platform is a Venture Studio. We create startups, and fund and support them until they are ready to spread their wings as independent businesses. We aim to launch multiple startups per year, with a higher overall success rate than traditional venture capital.
Platform was founded by 10x serial entrepreneur, Jeremy Burton (Wonolo, Fundly, Symbian) and seasoned venture investor, Tim Connors (founder/partner of PivotNorth, and former partner at Sequoia and USVP).
We focus on building startups that address the future of work. The ongoing growth of the gig economy and remote work (accelerated by COVID-19) creates a need for whole new categories of products and services. Platform itself is an all-remote organization and we strongly believe in “eating our own dog food”.
The primary advantages of working for a venture studio are variety and diversified risk. You will have the opportunity to work on multiple products and startups, and you are not playing the startup lottery, hoping that the one startup you join will be one of the < 1% to give employees a positive exit.
The foundation of Platform is our Tao – it describes our core beliefs and values, and the way we get things done.
(For more background on the venture studio model, we recommend the Global Startup Studio Network’s White Paper.)
Research at Platform
The venture studio model involves continually evaluating new startup ideas. Once we identify a concept that has potential, we need to rapidly research so we can make a go/no-go decision on progressing to the next stage and investing further.
As Research Analyst, you’ll be researching a series of startup concepts at various stages of development. You’ll track long-term economic and industry trends, becoming a subject matter expert in the “future of work” category where Platform focuses. You’ll also help continually refine and optimize our evaluation process.
For early-stage concepts, you’ll help create concise summaries of startup ideas using tools like Lean Canvas. You’ll validate how widespread the problem a startup aims to solve actually is, conducting user research and customer discovery, as required. You’ll research potential competitors and investigate the cost of various user acquisition channels.
For later-stage startups, you’ll work with our Founders-in-Residence to perform research as needed to help them continue to scale.
In short, you’ll be a key player in deciding which startup ideas progress, and where we invest.
As a member of the core platform team, you will have the ability to work on multiple projects but, should you fall in love with one particular product and company, you are free to stay with the company when they spin-out from Platform.
Here is who we are looking for:
- By nature, you are highly data-driven, analytical, and endlessly curious.
- You are a voracious reader, able to digest lots of information, quickly. You can “drink from a firehose”.
- You can synthesize complex information into simple and actionable summaries, particularly in the form of slides.
- You’re an expert online sleuth, a master of Google searches, always searching for new information sources.
- You have the ability to dial-in on the right level of research required, recognizing when you’re hitting a point of diminishing return; where more information won’t necessarily yield a higher quality decision.
- You’ll be numerate and able to summarize data in Google Sheets.
- You’re comfortable talking to potential users to get their quick assessment of a startup idea.
- You have a strong bias to action, scrappiness, and ability to move quickly.
- Experience in startups, finance, venture capital, and/or product management is useful but not essential.
- You’ll be comfortable working remotely as the norm and have the communication skills to make it work. We are a remote-first company, with a remote-first culture.
- You’ll read our Tao and feel it describes a culture that you’ll thrive in.
We are offering:
- A competitive salary, commensurate with your experience and location.
- Stock options in Platform itself.
- The opportunity to receive additional stock options in companies that Platform spins-out.
- If you are US-based, medical insurance and other benefits.
- Flexibility to work from anywhere.
- An empathetic, supportive, and inclusive culture.